Tuesday 15 May 2012

Motivation, Excuses and Community

A funny thing happened to me today. Usually I do my work outs at lunch time, then I have no time to dread it and no excuses I can make. On Tuesdays I have my session after work as I have a dance class later in the evening. It came to 3pm and I started making all my normal excuses; 'I'm too tired', 'It will be better if I go to bed early tonight and make up the exercise tomorrow', 'It won't hurt if I skip this session' and 'I can make it up on the weekend'. Then I went to the 12wbt forums (www.12wbt.com.au) and read some posts about excuses and felt so motivated. I told myself JFDI and I did.

It doesn't stop there. Then I got to the gym and realised I had forgotten my gym pants. I raced around to some shops to see if they had any, but there were none close by. Again, the excuses started 'oh well, this is external and out of my control - I can take the night off' and anything and everything along those lines. Then I told myself - JFDI!! and I did. I worked out in my cotton tights (poor other people in the class - but oh well!). Not only did I overcome my excuses but I burnt 800 calories last night! 800! Man that is crazy! It made it worth every bit of embarrassment of those cotton tights.

It got me thinking about how motivated I am right now and I realised this is because of the sense of community I'm feeling. I can post on the 12wbt website and get a reply really fast. I can see I have some readers on this page. I'm really getting to know quite a few people at my gym. I feel like I belong and I feel accountable. So thank you everyone for helping me feel like this. I know that with your help I can be the best I can be!

1 comment: